Monday, April 15, 2013

Stress Management for The New Nurse!

One of the things nursing school doesn't teach you is real world problems. The problems you face that can't be solved with a textbook procedure. The times when you are screamed at by a patient or patient's family or the one time a patient's family stole from our unit while we weren't watching...Then there are the times when you have a code. A baby crashes and the nurse practitioner calls out, "Start chest compressions!" The time when a baby dies and you have to take the after death pictures. A baby extubates or it's blood sugar is 16. When you are on first delivery for the night and you have back to back admissions. On top of job stresses, you have home life stresses and hell, even your co-workers can stress you out. 

As one prone to anxiety attacks, I have had to learn stress management by myself. I remember the first time something big happened when I was four days off orientation. I had a 26 weeker extubate and I just about peed my pants. I was shaking, I froze and my brain stopped working. The nurse practitioner was frustrated with me and gave me lots of heat for it. It wasn't my fault and it happens to the best of us. But I was disappointed in how I handled it. I lost sleep and it ruined the rest of my shift. I was so so stressed about it. But it was an experience that I learned from. I now know what to do when a baby extubates instead of freezing up or taking things personally and letting it affect me all night, get the bag and mask. The best thing for me was to expect the unexpected at every shift and go with the flow. Don't get too used to the quiet because that's usually when shit hits the fan. And most of all when things happen, BREATHE and just be in the moment. Focus your mind on your task and not your nerves. Control your emotions with self-talk and if you have to, cry about it later in the bathroom. Been there, done that. This is something I have to tell myself when I get to work everyday. It's going to be ok....refocus your anxieties and calm your breathing. Relax your body while your at work. Drop your shoulders if you're charting and realize they're up to your ears. When you have a minute, slow down...not everything needs to be in a panic. You will get through it. 

It's just in my personality to take things personally. I'm quiet and not one to snap back when I feel that I'm being criticized negatively, thank you nurse practitioner. That's something I've worked on.  I was having some issues with a baby. I was panicking and super busy. So to spread the icing on the cake, a co-worker snapped at me. Now whether or not she was being sarcastic, I was not sure. Regardless, it was rude. I froze and couldn't respond. In this moment, I couldn't understand why she was being rude to me. ME! The nice girl?!! I was already stressed, didn't she see that? It affected me in that I became so mad when I got home from my shift and I couldn't sleep because I didn't stick up for myself. All I could think were things I should have said and how I just let someone walk on my feelings again like the bullies used to in middle school (See previous blog post).  This was a learning experience, too. After speaking with people that I can trust, I realized something...NOT TO CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK! The less you care what people think is when you will feel better about snapping back. I cared so much about what she thought of me reacting to her, that I froze and couldn't say anything. But now I see things differently. I expect people to lash out at times because it's what people do. I've also reverted a little and know how to tread lightly around certain personalities. And what's the worst that could happen if I stood up for myself? The person not like me? SO WHAT?! Not everyone will like you and you won't like everyone. Nothing wrong with that! Also, when in doubt give em' the biggest, cavity-giving, sweetest smile you can muster! 

No comments:

Post a Comment