Monday, April 22, 2013

Just a few random thoughts...

This past weekend was fairly slow in the NICU. Sometimes I enjoy the slow nights because they are quiet and less stressful, but time creeps by. I was on first admission, but never got one. One of the topics I wanted to write about were how many NAS babies we have. We have had so many over the past few months. I wonder if this is a trend for other hospitals, too. I'm assuming so. NAS babies are challenging to say the least...we have some that constantly cry when you hold them and try to console them. Nothing helps until they wear themselves out and fall asleep. The cries are high pitched screeching. It sounds like a pterodactyl! I've often said, I wish we were allowed to wear earplugs when we are assessing these babies. Every time I have a bad one, I get a headache. I always make sure I have some Excedrin or Ibuprofen on hand at work, that's for sure. Some of these babies are on so many different combinations of meds, it's unreal. Then you have the foster parents, God bless them!! There is absolutely no way I could foster an NAS baby. And some of the foster parents have other NAS kids already at home with them. My hat goes off to the foster fams!

In the beginning of your job in the NICU, as a new nurse you will feel overwhelmed and stressed. You will feel that you are in a totally different world. In a code or emergency you won't know what to do. Sometimes you may think, "What am I doing here?" "I can't do this." "This may not be the job for me."  A million things will be going through your head. Once you think you are in control and feel like you're getting the hang of babies, they will throw you for a loop and you will feel back to square one. Every day is a learning process and if you really love babies, hang in there. Honestly, consider yourself lucky to be working in the NICU. These jobs are competitive and your fellow co-workers and managers saw something special in you when they made the decision to hire you. Working in the NICU has been such a blessing for myself. It takes a special person and people think so highly of you. When I go home in the morning after a long shift, I get so much value out of the work that I've done. The other thing is, once you've been in the NICU for awhile and the first year jitters start to wear off, you can start bonding with babies. When I first started, I was so focused on my task and not making mistakes that I forgot that I was working on a precious baby. A life, my patient. Now I can take the time to step back and see their little personalities and mannerisms. It's rewarding, when you see a baby you've coded, go home healthy and happy to a wonderful mom and dad who are so thankful that you've helped save their baby's life. I've bonded with a few babies. I remember a baby...he was so sweet and good. I told him that when I have children, I hope they are like him. After feeding him, I would swaddle him tightly, lay him on my shoulder and rock him to sleep while he sucked his thumb. I'd never seen a preemie suck their thumb before. It was adorable. He'd fall asleep and I'd pat his back and rock him. You can't do that with adults! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment