Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back on Topic Now!

So lately, if you've been reading along, you may have noticed the last couple of posts have been not about NICU nursing. There has been so much going on lately and I've needed to take care of myself but now that we're back at the swing of things, I'll make a post about none other than one of the greatest things in my life, MY JOB AS A NICU NURSE! There has been a lot going on at the farm, but not a lot of admissions. We've hit a lull in babies, especially the micro-preemies and critical babies. I hadn't had a difficult baby in a long time and then I got one. A one on one. Everything went well though, I was nervous because not only has it been forever since I had a one on one, but I also have never had an art line and a baby on Versed and Fentanyl. Those are the babies that remind me why I do what I do... and when the night with them goes well, I feel like Superwoman walking out of the unit after a long shift! When everything with that baby moves in the positive direction: ABGs are great, so we wean, labs are good, no apnea, bradys or desats etc...it can be great for a nurses morale because you feel like you've fixed the current problems for the night. Yes, the baby has a long way to go but you've contributed positively in it's care. It's a great feeling when things go in your favor.

But what about when things don't go in your favor no matter what you do? It can be awful and make you feel like a bad nurse. You take it home and can't shake the questions...what if I would've just did this or why did that happen? Sometimes it's not about what you do or could do, it's just the baby. Then another element to your hectic shift, the oncoming nurse comes to you for report and you have to tell her the mess she's just walked into. She huffs and puffs and questions you, you being the new nurse and she the oldest, of course she knows everything and obviously more than you! But you go home and beat yourself up, maybe cry a little but tomorrow is a new day. Things happen and you move on. You do the best you can and if you've given it your all, then that's what matters. No matter what the next nurse says about your care. You can't take it personal and should stand up for yourself!  

... I'll end with that. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment